MAKES 42 SMALL COOKIES
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup almond flour (ground almonds)
- 1-1/2 pounds unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pure almond extract
- 42 whole almonds, blanched
- 1 large egg white, well beaten (for egg wash)
- Preheat convection oven to 325°F.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, salt, and almond flour together in a bowl.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until fluffy.
- Add the one egg, water, and almond extract, and beat until incorporated. On low speed, beat in the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Form into round 1-inch balls of cookie dough, placed a few inches apart (to give room for spreading) on parchment-lined cookie sheet pans. Top each dough ball with an almond and brush the top of the cookie lightly with egg wash. Take care to ensure the egg wash does not run onto the parchment paper.
- Refrigerate the dough for 15 minutes.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown and evenly colored. Rotate pans as needed for even baking and coloring. Remove pans from the oven and place on racks to cool before removing cookies. Store cookies in a closed container.
Copyright © 2014 by Jim Dodge. All rights reserved under International Copyright.