“As apple pie is the essence of autumn, blueberry pie and peach pie are summer to me. When blueberries, wild or cultivated, are at their peak, get yourself a generous amount, and mound them into a pie shell. This is no time for frugality; blueberry pie should be full of blueberries.”
MAKES ONE 9-INCH PIE
- 1 Flaky Pie Pastry recipe
- 3 pints blueberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons tapioca
- 3/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Prepare Flaky Pie Pastry as directed.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Divide the pie dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll one half into a 12 inch-circle. Line a 9-inch pie pan with it.
- Wash and drain the blueberries. Sprinkle them with the lemon juice, tapioca, and 3/4 cup of sugar; toss to coat the berries. Heap the berries in the pie shell, filing them higher in the center. Scrape any sugar and tapioca left in the bowl over them.
- Roll the remaining pie dough into a 13-inch circle. Brush the edge of the pie shell lightly with beaten egg. Lay the circle of dough over the pie. Fold and crimp the edges.
- Brush the top the pie (but not the edges) with water and sprinkle on the remaining 1 teaspoon of sugar. Cut 8 small slashes in the top to let steam escape. Bake for 20 minutes, then rotate the pie, slip a cookie sheet under it, and lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Continue baking until the crust is golden brown and the fruit is bubbling, about 40 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Copyright © 2014 by Jim Dodge. All rights reserved under International Copyright.